Bridging winter and spring
Reed and I went to a wedding in Chicago a couple weeks ago and I was torn about what to wear considering it was April, but the weather was in the 30s! Suffice to say I froze while taking these pictures (notice the RBF and neck tension… 🤦🏻♀️😬), but I just had to show off this stunning floral dress.
I’m obsessed with the heavier fabric combined with a short sleeve silhouette and brighter print. The black lace grounded the dress and it felt appropriate for the weather paired with a warm wrap. However florals are very springy and celebratory as well.
This was a great Anthropologie sale find that fit perfectly since it’s from Eva Franco’s petite line. I love the flirty ruffles and red pattern detail on black lace. It’s an intricate dress that doesn’t overwhelm my petite frame, which is rare. It’s quite short for me, so I was glad it has more of a relaxed swing silhouette.
I’m also loving these black strappy sandals. I purchased them for a wedding we went to last October and I’ve gotten more wear out of them than I had original figured for a bolder shoe. The simple color and comfortable heel makes these my go-to fancy sandal for nights out or events. Here are a couple similar pairs under $100 or under $35.
We finally had some 60* weather here in the city, so I’m hoping Spring is here for good and I’ll have more outfits to share! In the meantime, do you have a go-to look for weddings? How about any recommendations for comfy shoes that still look cute?
It was so hard to narrow down items for this gift guide! There are so many amazing beauty products and brands out there (Glossier, Colourpop, Besame, Sunday Riley, Drunk Elephant, Ilia, RMS beauty, and on and on…), but I stuck to items from the more mainstream brands that can easily be found at Ulta or Nordstrom because we’re only 9 days away from Christmas now! These are gift-worthy items I personally use and love or would really like to receive.
- Tarte Blush Bazaar Palette ($44) – These blushes are really pigmented, blendable, and long-lasting. I think this palette makes a great gift, especially with the cute packaging and tons of colors.
Lorac Ocean Sunset Palette
($42) – I love the mix of shadows in this palette. It’s an unexpected gift that you can get a variety of looks out of and it comes with a mini primer. Lorac eyeshadows are soft, buttery, and pigmented as well.
L’occitane Almond Gift Set
($52) – This is a bit of a splurge for bodycare, but I think it’s worth it because the products are so luxurious and you get minis for travel. The Shower Oil helps soften skin while the Milk Concentrate is really moisturizing and they both smell amazing.
- Chantecaille Save the Rainforest Palette ($85) – I love the philanthropic aspect and the amazing gorilla print on these eyeshadows. The color combo is stunning as well. This is one I haven’t tried but would love to receive.
- Deborah Lippmann Color On Glass Set ($24) – The colors in this trio are so pretty and I think nail polish makes a nice gift for someone you may not know well enough to choose eyeshadows or lipsticks for.
- Bare Minerals Mini Lipsticks ($26) – The Gen Nude Radiant Lipsticks are one of my absolute favorite formulas. They feel smooth on the lips, are moisturizing, but pretty long wearing, and smell nice. This kit is great because it has a mix of the neutral and statement colors at an affordable price.
- Urban Decay Naked Ultimate Basics ($27) – This is one of my most used eyeshadow palettes and is a great deal at Ulta right now. The matte colors are beautiful for every day wear and you have some deeper shades for liner or going out. There’s also one shimmery shade that’s perfect for the lid. I highly recommend it!
- A custom gift set! This one features some great haircare items and this adorable Velvet Bow Hair Tie ($18). The Living Proof No Frizz Oil ($20) is amazing for hydration and taming dry hair. The mini size will last for several months as well. I also love this R + Co Shine Cream ($27) which I use on wet hair to define curls. The packaging definitely makes it gift worthy.
There are a dozen more items I wanted to add and now my personal wishlist has gotten longer! What’s on your beauty wishlist or gift guide?
Gifts for the home are great because they’re generally useful and can be really thoughtful as well. I think these options work well for family and friends or for a hostess you’ve never met before.
- Ceramic Picture Frame from Target ($13) – This is pretty but relatively neutral, so it should match most home decor themes. I’d recommend printing out a meaningful picture if you know the recipient.
- Mini Waffle Maker from Urban Outfitters ($18) – How adorable is this tiny waffle maker? It’s a fun gift that doesn’t take up too much room – something I’m hyper aware of in our tiny NYC apartment.
- Kate Spade Trinket Tray ($40) – I’m always dropping my rings, keys, lipsticks, etc. in mini dishes and love the “odds and ends” print on this one.
- Hot Chocolate and A Pretty Mug ($20 and $14) – Edible gifts are the best! This would also make a great gift for teachers.
- Cookies and Recipe Cards from Rifle Paper Co. ($12) – Again, love a gift that is edible and these recipe cards are so cute.
- Hammered Coasters from World Market ($20) – Coasters are a pretty useful gift, especially for a party. I love the gold color and hammered details; these look way more expensive than they are!
- Reversible Throw Blanket ($30) – It’s always nice to have a new, cozy throw. I love this blue one, but maybe stick with cream or gray if you don’t know the hostess’ color theme.
Let me know your favorite item from these home/hostess ideas and feel free to link to your gift guides as well!